Sunday, February 10, 2013

Katie's Chicken Stroganoff (from scratch)



The original inspiration for this dish comes from my mom. I have no idea where she got it from, but it was always one of my favorites. Over the years, I've experimented with making it from scratch without the canned cream of whatever soups as I've worked to get back to basics and green up my life. Recently I made a Danish meatball dish (found here) that helped me come up with a better way to make the base sauce. So here is my recipe with yummy pictures below:

Cream Sauce Base Ingredients:
1/2 lb of butter
1/4 arrowroot powder or flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
11/4 cups milk
1tsp paprika (feel free to add more)
Salt to taste

Stroganoff Ingredients:
1/2 - 1 medium to large onion (I usually just use what I have)
6-8 large white mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
Cream base from above
8 oz or so chicken (I used canned since I don't have a lot of time with an 18 month old)
16 oz sour cream
1 bag of egg noodles
Paprika

First, start boiling your water for the noodles. You will cook and drain according to packaging.

Combine milk and broth in a liquid measuring cup. Start melting the butter for cream base in small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Once butter is melted for sauce, whisk in arrowroot powder till smooth. Begin slowly adding milk and broth mixture to the small sauce pan and keep whisking until thickened (this takes a long time, but I promise it will thicken). Once thickened stir in salt to taste and paprika, then set aside.

Roughly cut the onions and slice the mushrooms into slightly thick but not too thick slices. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Throw onions into large skillet and begin sautéing, I like to add more paprika to the veggies while they sauté. Once the onions are mostly clear, add in mushroom slices and sauté until mushrooms are well cooked. Add the chicken and the cream sauce. Stir together and heat for a few minutes. Then add your sour cream, stir until blended, and heat for a few more minutes.  At this point I throw the sauce and noodle into the big stock pot I cooked the noodles in and stir everything until combined. Dish out and garnish with paprika and enjoy!

Thickened cream sauce base before adding paprika


Mushrooms and onions sautéing



Mushrooms and onions cooked down and ready for the next step



Adding the cream sauce to mushrooms and onions



All mixed together



Plated and garnished on little dude-y's plate

I hope you all enjoy this recipe.  It's not low fat, low cal, or anything like that but it i mostly made from scratch and uses REAL food.  My little one seems to like it as much as his momma does. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment