Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer Blog Challenge Day 12 - June 12-- Worst injury you've had & how it happened.

Luckily I haven't had many injuries at all in my life.  I'm not the daredevil type and I tend to play it fairly safe.  Now, I do tend to be absent minded and clumsy, so I have had quite a few occasions where I've bumped into things.  Frequently, I have bruises that I cannot explain.  I think it's most likely that I've gotten so used to bumping into things that I pretty much forget I did by the time a bruise shows up.  I had such a hard time coming up with something, that I originally just thought, "Can I count my c-section as an injury?"  It truly was the most painful thing I've even had to recover from, but eventually I remembered two things that would count.

The first was a car accident right before Christmas of 2008.  It wasn't a major one, we just got side-swiped by a drunk driver, but we were in pain after it.  I've (knock on wood) never had a broken bone, but I sure can tell you that muscular injuries of the neck and back are horrible.  I was in so much pain after that accident, I couldn't type.  It literally almost brought me to tears.  And since there weren't any broken bones, you don't get any kind of brace, cast, etc.  It also meant many, many weeks of 3 days a week being in the chiropractor's office.  Not fun at all.

The next was way cooler!  I told you I'm not a daredevil, but I've been told I can be a beast when it comes to pursuing things.  In May of 2010 I took up riding a road bike.  I LOVE my road bike! I love going fast, I love riding through scenic areas, I love the wind in my hair, but I tend to be fairly cautious about it as well.  I also told you I'm absent minded and clumsy at times.  Well, it was late August or early September of that same year and I was riding the rail trail near me that is 26.2 miles round trip in preparation for the century (100 mile bike ride) I was riding in a couple of weeks.  I was doing the usual entire trail with my father.  We were probably 3-5 miles from the trail head (I start from the trail end) when I fell.  We were waiting to cross an intersection when some cars decided to stop for us.  I got back on, stood up to peddle, and then raised my hand to waive my appreciation.  Yeah...that last part was the bad idea.  See you either sit and raise your hand or you stand and keep you hands firmly on the handle bars. Before I knew it, I was skidding across the pavement (I managed to steer to the end of the intersection) and fell on the trail.  I scrapped my arm and my leg pretty bad, but I rinsed my wounds clean, took a few minutes to regain my composure, and continued to the rest of the way before turning back around.  Little did I know I bent my handle bars and rode a century with bent handle bars.  When the pain from riding wasn't going away from chiropractic adjustments, I decided to schedule a bike fit.  It turns out I actually discovered the handle bar damage two days before I found out I was pregnant.  I actually planned to ride, but took a test instead.

Here's some pictures from my bike accident.
 My scraped up arm.

 The leg wasn't as bad.  The worst part was where my hip and upper thigh hit, but it was just deeply bruised.

Click HERE to quickly find the rest of my Summer Blog Challenge posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment